Are Squirrels Harmful To Humans?October 5, 2018
What Do I Do If I Have Bats In The Attic?November 14, 2018
Most of us, don’t mind or even love animals until they start to become pests. If raccoons are eating your garbage, if snakes are slithering in your barn, and if skunks are stinking up your yard, you definitely want to remove them. However, there are some rules and considerations to think about before you do so and how to remove them safely.
Things to keep in mind about wildlife:
- Wildlife removal may need a permit. Protected wildlife isn’t just endangered species, but can include squirrels, snakes, racoons, and every other pest. Research the laws in your state and see what you need. You can go to the parks and wildlife department for more information.
- Other states don’t protect wildlife if they are risky to people, sick, and can damage property. However, there are still rules you may need to follow. Again, research.
- There are “nuisance animals” that may have certain regulations. You may need a nu science animal permit for you to remove wildlife. In some states, such as Illinois, you need to prove these animals are a problem for your home. You need to check the laws before you begin trapping the animals.
- Snakes have restrictions in particular. There are snakes that are poisonous, snakes that aren’t, and snakes that look similar. You should talk to your wildlife department and listen to their directions carefully when removing snakes.
- Do not release animals on government or private property. In almost every state, this is illegal. Do not drop a skunk at a city park or on your neighbor’s backyard, even if you don’t like them.
- Be skeptical about folk remedies or products to claim to repel wildlife. There are many people who claim sprinkling essential oils all over your home will scare away pests, but they may be ineffective, or make the problem worse. Always do a little research.
- When you’re trying to clean up after an animal, especially the feces of an animal, do your research. They may carry diseases. Racoons can carry roundworm, for example.
- Do not sell these animals either, or keep them as pets. Most states won’t let you do that, and it’s unethical for you to do so.
- If an animal is inside your house, you need to get them out of your house. If you try to kill them inside, it can make the problem worse. You may poison a racoon, only for it to die inside your walls. Make sure you remove the animal if possible.
For situations where you are unsure what to do, it’s always worth it to consult a professional. Baystate Wildlife works safely with the animals in order to remove all wildlife and keep them from bothering you again. Talk to someone today and begin the removal. Contact us today on our website or give us a call at (781) 830-6080.